The Happy and Healthy Cliché
If you survey parents on what their greatest wish is for their kids, the majority will say, “I just want my kids to be happy and healthy.” This was what my mom said about me and my siblings. I remember her saying that her biggest wish was that we would be happy and healthy.
I used to think that this simple wish was sufficient. This phrase seemed so meaningful. Recently, however, I’ve been feeling let down by that wish. It’s a great start when raising kids to hope that they will be “happy and healthy.” Wanting to see kids lead a healthy and fulfilling life as adults is normal. But I feel like the phrase is slightly cliché.
You need to dig deeper as a parent or caregiver. What does it take to lead a fulfilling and healthy life? Of course, the answer will be subjective with individual values varying from person to person. But there are patterns in what evokes the feeling of satisfaction and joy within people. There is a little more social science involved in producing a satisfactory lifestyle.
What Makes Life Fulfilling?
For most people, satisfaction is achieved by a few things coming together. Outlined below are some of the main things that contribute to a person’s happiness:
- Belief in Oneself
The first is that the individual needs to perceive themselves as successful, competent, and intelligent. Notice how the person needs to think of themselves in this manner. It’s easier for most of us to recognize the potential that other people have in themselves. Seeing this potential in ourselves is not so easy.
Think of the last time you were confronted with an issue (work, personal, or family) that you successfully solved. How did that make you feel? You most likely felt a sense of pride.
Conversely, think of a time when you had an issue that you weren’t able to solve. And remember how that made you feel. Chances are that not being able to resolve the issue took a slight toll on your self-esteem.
- Maintaining Positive Connections
As social creatures, people are driven to find a way to connect with other individuals. Our friendships and relationships are what give our lives the most purpose. It’s when you feel disconnected from other people that feelings such as depression can take over. We tell ourselves the story that we’re worthless and unimportant when we feel isolated.
Additionally, our connections can help use achieve our own personal goals. People who have strong connections with those that are close to them are more likely to find success. This might be because it’s easier to accomplish things when you have a team, rather than individually.
When asked what they would change about their lives, elderly individuals commonly say they wish they’d spent more time with family and friends. They wish they’d invested in their relationships with their kids and their spouses, and they yearn for the friendships that they once had in their youth. This wisdom doesn’t have to come at an old age. It’s when we make space for our friendships that we feel a sense of positivity and fulfillment.
- Feeling in Control in Life
Most people like to feel in control of their circumstances. Whether or not we you are in control of your life, it gives most people great pleasure to feel that they have some degree of power. This isn’t to be confused with wanting to control others. Rather, people desire to feel as if they can shape their own destinies.
There are a few things specifically that contribute to feeling in control of your own circumstances. The first is being able to make reasonable choices in life. In order to obtain a sense of power over oneself, people must be able to make rational choices resulting from critical thinking; not choices made from our ever-changing emotions. When people aren’t in control of their surroundings they resort to making decisions resulting from fear, anger, sadness, etc.
A second thing that contributes to this feeling of ownership is feeling capable of completing tasks. It helps to have the ability to make corrections to mistakes that are made and learn from those decisions. A relatively accurate understanding of one’s own shortcomings and flaws helps with this.
The third thing that creates a feeling of control is an understanding of how to learn anything. In order to see projects, schooling, assignments, and other things through to the end, people must know how to learn and engage with whatever is to become their classroom.
- Feeling Respected
People need to feel respected in order to feel fulfilled. They need to feel as if their own emotional boundaries are going to be acknowledged by the other people around them. This feeling of respect leads to emotional safety. When people feel a sense of emotional safety within their environments, they naturally want to engage more with their setting; people become more motivated.
Think of the last time that your words were not taken seriously. It probably didn’t feel too good. Not only that, you may have lost some of the natural drive to work hard that you possess. Now, think of a situation when you felt as though your emotions and wishes were taken seriously, in which you felt respected and even valued. You probably felt more inclined to work harder in that area.
- A Sense of Purpose
The last major thing that creates a sense of happiness if having a sense of purpose. With purpose comes a sense of drive and dedication. Purpose makes it feel as if our lives have some deeper meaning on the planet.
It’s not uncommon for people to desire the feeling of value. We want to believe that our lives serve some purpose on this planet, and that we can help make other people’s lives better. This sense of purpose can shine through in the hobbies and careers we embark on. It strengthens our connections with the people around us and our communities.
Preparing Kids for Life
It’s impossible to prepare kids for every situation that is thrown their way. At some point, kids need to learn from their own mistakes. But there are a few things you can do to help maximize their preparedness for adulthood.
- Identify learning issues your kid has
- Too many people think that growth just happens overnight. They think that their kid’s undesired behavior is immaturity, or it will just fade away eventually. The student jumps to each sequential step without overcoming their learning obstacles, making each phase more difficult (middle school, high school, college, etc.). Don’t pass off unwanted behavior as immaturity. The first step is to identify what issues pose challenges for your kid. Learn what it is that your kid struggles with and help them learn different skills.
- Teach executive function
- Executive function is a variety of skills that help us complete tasks. These skills include self-regulation, planning, self-advocacy, organization, and time management. Executive function is the building block to success because it is what determines a student’s ability to see tasks and assignments through. People with poor executive function skills struggle with committing to various endeavors. Help your kid learn the skills of planning, time management, and organization.
- Encourage kids to learn to solve their problems
- In order to advance in any area, students must be able to learn from their own mistakes. This requires self-awareness and reflection. This can be encouraged through having conversations with kids and asking questions, not telling them how to fix a situation. As kids learn to solve problems through reflection and analyzation, they learn the fundamental skill of learning anything; problem-solving and adaptation. Learning to solve problems is one of the best preparations for life.
- Respect and acknowledge your kid’s feelings
- One of the best things that you can do for your kid is to acknowledge their feelings. This includes not only acknowledging their words, but their body language. By doing this you are letting them know that they are a valued individual and their voice and emotions are important. Kids feel more inclined to engage in school, activities, clubs, etc. when they feel comfortable and emotionally safe.
- Help kids set goals
- When kids learn to set goals for themselves, they learn how to be problem solvers in their own lives. They learn advocacy and determination. Kids become active participants in their own life when they make goals of their own. They learn to move their life in the desirable direction.
- Teach kids effective communication
- Communication is instrumental in helping us sustain relationships and learn different skills. Advocacy and problem-solving are all products of effective communication. Learning to communicate effectively is possibly one of the greatest lessons that kids could take away from their youth. Without proper communication, people can become stuck making the same mistakes or missing out on potential relationships.
Lastly, you need to be a constant learner of both your kids and strategies to help them. Learn about what your kids need as individuals. Stay open to new information that challenges what you already know about the world. And seek out information in your pursuit of helping your children grow. Your effort to learn new information will payoff with your kid leading a happy and healthy lifestyle.
20 thoughts on “Secrets Behind Raising Happy and Healthy Children”
thanks, very interesting 🙂
This design is wicked! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused.
Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job.
I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how
you presented it. Too cool!
Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this site on a regular basis, this website is truly
nice and the viewers are really sharing good thoughts.
Also visit my webpage: best cbd gummies for pain (https://www.bellevuereporter.com)
Wow, this post is nice, my younger sister is analyzing such things, so
I am going to let know her.
Feel free to surf to my web-site – delta 8 gummies moonwalker
This is a good tip especially to those fresh to the
blogosphere. Short but very accurate info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
A must read post!
my page – best kratom
Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess
I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the
whole thing. Do you have any tips for rookie blog writers?
I’d certainly appreciate it.
Here is my website cbd for sale
Excellent post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I
am inspired! Extremely useful info specially the final part
🙂 I handle such info a lot. I used to be
looking for this certain information for a
long time. Thanks and good luck.
My homepage: cbd for sale
Howdy! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile
friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone.
I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to correct this problem.
If you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate
My web site – cbd for sale
Do you have a spam problem on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many of us have created some nice procedures and we are looking to exchange solutions with
other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.
Here is my web blog – how long does 1 gram of maeng da last
Hi there! I could have sworn I’ve been to your blog before but after looking at some
of the articles I realized it’s new to me. Regardless, I’m certainly happy I stumbled upon it and I’ll
be bookmarking it and checking back often!
Take a look at my page best cbd capsules for pain,
whoah this blog is excellent i love reading your
posts. Keep up the great work! You already know, many people are searching around for this information, you can aid them greatly.
Check out my web page best cbd capsules for pain,
Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological
world everything is available on net?
Visit my web blog :: cbd gummies review cannavative
Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I find
It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope
to give something back and help others like you aided me.
Here is my homepage – edibles cbd gummies
Thanks for every other informative blog. The place else may just I get that type of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a mission that I’m simply now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.|
Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored at work so I
decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
I love the information you provide here and can’t wait to take a look when I
get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my cell phone ..
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, awesome blog!
Thanks for the feedback 👍
Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any suggestions?|
Hello, Neat post. There’s an issue along with your site in web explorer, might check this? IE still is the market chief and a big element of other people will omit your magnificent writing because of this problem.|